Pali Primer Exercise 21
Translate into English:
1. Khette phalāni corentī dārikā kassakaṃ disvā bhāyitvā dhāvituṃ
in field / fruits / stealing /
girl / farmer / having seen / got frightened / to run / started
Having seen the farmer, the girl stealing fruits in the field got
frightened and started to run.
2. Buddhassa sāvakena desitaṃ dhammaṃ sutvā yuvati saccaṃ adhigantuṃ
icchantī ammāya saddhiṃ mantesi.
Buddha's / by disciple /
preached / dhamma / having heard / maiden / truth / to understand /
wishing / with mother / discussed
Wishing to understand the truth, the young girl discussed with (her)
mother after hearing the dhamma preached by the Buddha's disciple.
3. Sayantaṃ sunakhaṃ āmasantī kumārī gehadvāre nisinnā hoti.
sleeping / dog / touching /
girl / at door of house / seated / is
Lit: The girl touching the sleeping dog is seated at the door of the
The girl is sitting at the door of the house stroking the dog.
4. Rājinī nārīhi puṭṭhe pañhe vyakarontī sabhāyaṃ nisinnā parisaṃ
āmantetvā kathaṃ kathesi.
queen / by women / asked /
questions / explaining / in assembly / seated / retinue / having
addressed / speech / spoke
The queen seated in the assembly addressed the retinue and made a speech
explaining the questions asked by the women.
5. Aṭaviṃ gantvā rukkhaṃ chinditvā sākhāyo ākaḍḍhantiyo itthiyo
sigāle disvā bhāyiṃsu.
[to] forest / having gone /
tree / having cut / branches / dragging / women / jackals / having seen
/ got frightened
Having gone to the forest and cut the tree, the women dragging the
branches saw the jackals and got frightened.
6. Gehadvāre nisīditvā dussaṃ sibbantī bhaginī gītaṃ gāyati.
having seated / at door of
house / garment / sewing / sister / song / sings
Sitting at the door of the house and sewing a garment, the sister sings
7. Asappuriso pāpakammāni paṭicchādetvā upāsakehi saddhiṃ sallapanto
vihārasmiṃ āsane nisinno hoti.
wicked man / evil deeds /
having concealed / with lay devotees / engaging in conversation / in
monastery / on seat / seated / is
The wicked man concealing (his) evil deeds is seated on the seated in
the monastery conversing with the lay devotees.
8. Sāṭakena veṭhetvā nilīyitaṃ suvaṇṇaṃ passituṃ āka'nkhamānā yuvati
ovarakassa (room) dvāraṃ vivari.
in garment / having wrapped /
hidden / gold / to see / hoping / maiden / room's / door / opened
The maiden hoping to see the gold wrapped and hidden in a garment opened
the room's door.
9. Sace tvaṃ mulaṃ vissajjetuṃ iccheyyāsi, mā vatthaṃ kiṇāhi.
if / you / money / to spend /
wish / do not / cloth / buy
If you wish to spend the money, do not buy a cloth.
Alt: If you wish to spend the money, do not buy clothes.
Alt: If you wish to spend the money, do not buy a garment.
10. Sace tumhe bhūpālassa dūtaṃ pesetha amacce pi ārocetha.
if / you / to king / messenger
/ send / minister / too / inform
If you send a messenger to the king, inform the ministers too.
11. Kassako chinnā sakhāyo khettamhā nīharitvā aṭaviyaṃ pakkhipi.
farmer / cut / branches / from
field / having taken / in forest / placed
The farmer took out the broken branches from the field and dumped (them)
in the forest.
12. Pokkaraṇiyā tīre (bank) ṭhatvā kadaliphalaṃ khādantī kaññā
bhaginiyā dinnaṃ padumaṃ gaṇhi.
pond's / bank / having stood /
plantain (fruit) / eating / girl / by sister / given / lotus / took
Standing at the bank of the pond and eating a plantain, the girl took
the lotus given by (her) sister.
13. Amhākaṃ (our) hatthapādesu vīsati (twenty) a'nguliyo santi.
our / on hands and feet /
twenty / fingers / there are
There are twenty fingers (and toes) on our hands and feet.
14. Rattiyā gehā nikkhamituṃ bhāyantī kaññā dvāraṃ na vivari.
at night / house / to leave /
fearing / girl / door / did not open
The girl did not open the door, being afraid to leave the house at
15. Sace tvaṃ yaṭṭhiyā kukkuraṃ pahareyyāsi so ḍaseyya.
if / you / with walking stick /
dog / would hit / it / would bite
If you hit the dog with the walking stick, it will bite.
16. Mayaṃ sappurisā bhavituṃ āka'nkhamānā samaṇe upasa'nkamma dhammaṃ
sutvā kusalaṃ kātuṃ ārabhimha.
we / virtuous men / to become /
hoping / monks / having approached / doctrine / having heard / good / to
do / started
Hoping to become good men we approached monks, listened to the doctrine
and started to do good (work).
17. Pāpakammehi anubandhitā asappurisā corā niraye (purgatory)
uppajjitvā dukkhaṃ vindanti.
by evil deeds / followed /
wicked / robbers / in purgatory / having being born / suffering /
The wicked robbers, being chased by (their) evil deeds, are born in
purgatory and experience suffering.
18. Mā puññaṃ parivajjetvā pāpaṃ karotha, sace kareyyātha
manussalokamhā cavitvā dukkhaṃ vindissatha.
do not / merit / having avoided
/ evil / do! / if / (you) do / from human world / having departed /
suffering / would experience
Do not avoid merit and do evil; if you do, you will experience suffering
after being departed from the human world.
19. Sace tumhe sagge uppajjitvā modituṃ patthetha puññāni karotha.
if / you / in heaven / having
being born / to be happy / aspire / merits / do
If you aspire to be happy being born in heaven, do meritorious deeds.
20. Saccaṃ ñātuṃ ussahantā brāhmaṇā sahāyakehi saha mantayiṃsu.
truth / to know / trying /
brahmins / with friends / discussed
Trying to know the truth, the brahmins discussed with friends.
21. Nāriyā pañjare (cage) pakkhittā sukā kadaliphalaṃ khādantā
by woman / into cage / placed /
parrots / plantains / eating / seated / are
The parrots placed into the cage by the woman sat eating plantains.
22. Goṇaṃ viheṭhetuṃ na icchanto vāṇijo sakaṭamhā bhaṇḍāni nīharitvā
bhūmiyaṃ nikkhipitvā kassakaṃ ārocesi.
ox / to harass / not wishing /
merchant / from cart / goods / having removed / on ground / having
placed / farmer / informed
Not wishing to harass the ox, the merchant removed the goods from the
cart, placed (them) on the ground and informed the farmer.
23. Aṭaviyaṃ viharantā migā ca goṇā ca varāhā ca sīhamhā bhāyanti.
in forest / living / deer and /
oxen and / pigs and / (from) lion / fear
The deer, oxen and pigs living in the the forest fear the lion.
24. Samaṇā saddhāya upāsakehi dinnaṃ bhuñjitvā saccaṃ adhigantuṃ
vāyamantā sīlāni rakkhanti.
monks / with faith / by lay
devotees / given / having enjoyed / truth / to understand / trying /
precepts / observe
Having enjoyed (the requisites) given by the lay devotees with faith,
the monks observe precepts trying to realise the truth.
25. Rattiyā doṇi nadiṃ taritvā pabhāte (in the morning) dīpaṃ pāpuṇi.
in night / boat / river /
having crossed / in morning / island / reached
The boat setting out in the night crossed the river and reached the
island in the morning.
26. Gehassa chāyāya ṭhatvā dārikāya bhūmiyaṃ nikkhittaṃ odanaṃ
sunakho khādituṃ ārabhi.
house's / in shadow / having
stood / by girl / on ground / placed / rice / dog / to eat / started
Having stood in the shadow of the house, the dog started to eat the rice
placed on the ground by the girl.
27. Bhariyāya nāḷiyā mitaṃ dhaññaṃ ādāya kassako āpaṇaṃ gato hoti.
by wife / with measuring vessel
/ measured / corn / having taken / farmer / [to] market / gone / is
Taking the corn measured by (his) wife with the measuring vessel, the
farmer has gone to the market.
28. Uḍḍente kāke disvā vālukāya ca udakena ca kīḷantī dārikā hasamānā
flying / crows / having seen /
with sand and / with water and / girl / laughing / ran
Having seen the crows flying, the girl playing with sand and water ran
29. Rathaṃ pājetuṃ (to drive) uggaṇhanto puriso dakkho (clever)
rathācariyo bhavituṃ vāyami.
vehicle / to drive / learning /
man / clever / vehicle-teacher / to be / tried
Learning to drive a vehicle, the man tried to be a clever driving
30. Vivaṭamhā dvāramhā nikkhantā kumārā pañjarehi muttā sakuṇā viya
(like) uyyānaṃ dhāviṃsu.
opened / from door / leaving /
boys / from cages / released / birds / like / [to] park / ran
The boys left through the open door and ran to the park like birds
released from cages.
Translate into Pali:
1. Seated on the bed the girl drank the milk given by her mother.
nisinnā / mañce / dārikā / pivi
/ khīraṃ / dinnaṃ / ammāya
Mañce nisinnā dārikā ammāya dinnaṃ khīraṃ pivi.
2. Taking the pots (ghaṭe) and talking the women went to the river to
gahetvā / ghaṭe / sallapantiyo
/ nāriyo / gacchiṃsu / nadiṃ / āharituṃ / udakaṃ
Ghaṭe gahetvā sallapantiyo nāriyo udakaṃ āharituṃ nadiṃ gacchiṃsu.
3. Without wishing to harass the bird the woman released him from the
na icchantī / viheṭhetuṃ /
sakuṇaṃ / itthī / muñci / (taṃ) / pañjarasmā
Sakuṇaṃ viheṭhetuṃ na icchantī itthī (taṃ) pañjarasmā muñci.
4. Unable (asakkoti) to pick the fruits from the tree the young girl
called the farmer.
asakkontī / ocinituṃ / phalāni
/ rukkhamhā / taruṇī / pakkosi / kassakaṃ
Rukkhamhā phalāni ocinituṃ asakkontī taruṇī kassakaṃ pakkosi.
5. There is no (natthi) milk in the bowl of the crying child.
natthi / khīraṃ / pattasmiṃ /
rodantassa / dārakassa
Rodantassa dārakassa pattasmiṃ khīraṃ natthi.
6. The girls who were singing under the tree started dancing.
dārikāyo / gāyantiyo /
rukkhamūlamhi / ārabhiṃsu / naccituṃ
Rukkhamūlamhi gāyantiyo dārikāyo naccituṃ ārabhiṃsu.
7. Being chased by the hunter and his dogs the deer ran into the
anubandhitā / luddakena ca /
kukkurehi ca / migā / dhāviṃsu / araññaṃ
Luddakena ca kukkurehi ca anubandhitā migā araññaṃ dhāviṃsu.
8. Wishing to get profit the women sold garments in shops.
icchantiyo / labhituṃ / lābhaṃ
/ nāriyo / vikkiṇiṃsu / sāṭake / āpaṇesu
Lābhaṃ labhituṃ icchantiyo nāriyo āpaṇesu sāṭake vikkiṇiṃsu.
9. In order to buy oil (tela) to light lamps the boy went from shop
kiṇituṃ / telaṃ / jāletuṃ /
dīpe / kumāro / agami/agacchi / āpaṇasmā / āpaṇaṃ
Kumāro dīpe jāletuṃ telaṃ kiṇituṃ āpaṇasmā āpaṇaṃ agami/agacchi.
10. I gave the box to the girl sitting in the shade of the tree.
ahaṃ / adadiṃ/adāsiṃ / mañjūsaṃ
/ kaññāya / nisinnāya / chāyāyaṃ / rukkhassa
Ahaṃ rukkhassa chāyāyaṃ nisinnāya kaññāya mañjūsaṃ adadiṃ/adāsiṃ.
11. The girls laughed pulling the creeper from the tree.
kumāriyo / hasiṃsu /
ākaḍḍhantiyo / lataṃ / rukkhamhā
Rukkhamhā lataṃ ākaḍḍhantiyo kumāriyo hasiṃsu.
12. They who oppress women and children are wicked men.
te / viheṭhentā / vanitāyo ca /
dārake ca / honti / asappurisā
Te vanitāyo ca dārake ca viheṭhentā asappurisā honti.
13. We see with our eyes the rays of the sun falling on the ground.
mayaṃ / passāma / nayanehi /
suriya-rasmiyo / patantiyo / bhūmiyaṃ
Nayanehi mayaṃ bhūmiyaṃ patantiyo suriyarasmiyo passāma.
14. Hitting with a stick the woman killed the serpent entering the
paharitvā / yaṭṭhiyā / itthī /
māresi / sappaṃ / pavisantaṃ / gehaṃ
Yaṭṭhiyā paharitvā itthī gehaṃ pavisantaṃ sappaṃ māresi.
15. Putting fruits and flowers in boxes sisters sat at the open door.
pakkhipantiyo / phalāni ca /
pupphāni ca / mañjūsāsu / bhaginiyo / nisidiṃsu / vivaṭe / gehadvāre
Mañjūsāsu phalāni ca pupphāni ca pakkhipantiyo bhaginiyo vivaṭe
16. If you will come out of water and protect the child I will step
into the pond and bathe.
sace / tvaṃ / uttaritvā /
udakasmā / rakkheyyāsi / dārakaṃ / ahaṃ / otaritvā / pokkharaṇiṃ /
Sace tvaṃ udakasmā uttaritvā dārakaṃ rakkheyyāsi ahaṃ pokkharaṇiṃ
17. We got angry with the women committing evil and left the hall.
mayaṃ / kujjhitvā / nārīhi /
karontīhi / pāpakammāni / nikkhamimha / sālāya
Pāpakammāni karontīhi nārīhi kujjhitvā mayaṃ sālāya nikkhamimha.
18. Do not shoot the cows and deer roaming in the park, the king and
queen will get angry.
(tumhe) / mā / vijjhatha /
gāviyo ca / mige ca / āhiṇḍantiyo / uyyāne / bhūpālo ca / rājinī ca /
Mā tumhe uyyāne āhiṇḍantiyo gāviyo ca mige ca vijjhatha, bhūpālo ca
rājinī ca kujjhissanti.
19. May the king and his ministers not oppress the people living in
bhūpālo ca / amaccā ca / mā
pīḷentu / manusse / viharante / dīpasmiṃ
Mā bhūpālo ca amaccā ca dīpasmiṃ viharante manusse pīḷentu.
20. I gave rice to the starving dogs walking on the road.
ahaṃ / adadiṃ / odanaṃ /
kudhāya pīḷitānaṃ / sunakhānaṃ / carantānaṃ / maggamhi
Ahaṃ maggamhi carantānaṃ kudhāya pīḷitānaṃ sunakhānaṃ odanaṃ adadiṃ.
Pali Primer Exercise 22
Translate into English:
1. Upāsakehi samaṇā vanditabbā honti.
by lay devotees / monks / to be
honoured / are
Monks are to be honoured by lay devotees.
2. Mañjūsāyaṃ nikkhipitabbaṃ suvaṇṇaṃ mā mañcasmiṃ ṭhapehi.
in box / should be kept / gold
/ do not / on bed / leave!
Do not leave on the bed the gold which should be kept in the box.
3. Sappurisā pūjanīye pūjenti, asappurisā tathā (likewise) na
good men / (those) who should
be honoured / honour / wicked men / likewise / do not / do
Good men honour those worthy of honour, wicked men do not do likewise.
4. Bhūpālena rakkhitabbaṃ dīpaṃ amaccā na sammā (well) pālenti.
by king / should be protected /
island / ministers / do not / well / protect
The ministers do not govern well the island which should be protected by
5. Manussehi dhammo uggaṇhitabbo, saccaṃ adhigantabbaṃ hoti.
by people / dhamma / should be
learned / truth / to be understood / is
The dhamma should be learned by the people, the truth is to be realised.
6. Kumārīhi āhaṭāni pupphāni udakena āsiñcitabbāni honti.
by girls / brought / flowers /
with water / to be sprinked / are
The flowers brought by the girls are to be sprinkled with water.
7. Corena gahitaṃ bhaginiyā dhanaṃ pariyesitabbaṃ hoti.
by robber / takeb / sister's /
wealth / to be searched / is
The wealth of (my) sister taken by the robber is to be searched for.
8. Uyyāne ropitā rukkhā na chinditabbā honti.
in park / planted / trees / not
to be cut / are
The trees planted in the park are not to be cut.
9. Dhotabbāni dussāni gahetvā yuvatiyo hasamānā pokkharaṇiṃ otariṃsu.
to be washed / clothes / having
taken / maidens / laughing / [into] pond / stepped
Having taken the clothes to be washed, the maidens stepped into the pond
10. Samaṇehi ovaditabbā kumārā vihāraṃ na gamiṃsu.
by monks / to be advised / boys
/ [to] monastery / did not go
The boys to be advised by the monks did not go to the monastery.
11. Kassakena kasitabbaṃ khettaṃ vikkiṇituṃ vāṇijo ussahi.
by farmer / to be ploughed /
field / to sell / merchant / tried
The merchant tried to sell the field to be ploughed by the farmer.
12. Āpaṇesu ṭhapitāni vikkiṇitabbāni bhandāni kiṇituṃ te na icchiṃsu.
in shops / kept / to be sold /
goods / to buy / they / did not wish
They did not wish to buy the goods kept for sale in the shops.
13. Ammā khādanīyāni ca bhojanīyāni ca paṭiyādetvā dārakānaṃ deti.
mother / hard food and / soft
food and / having prepared / to children / gives
The mother prepares hard and soft food, and gives (them) to (her)
14. Manussehi dānāni dātabbāni, sīlāni rakkhitabbāni, puññāni
by people / alms / should be
given / precepts / should be observed / merits / should be done
People should give alms, observe precepts and do meritorious deeds.
15. Goṇānaṃ dātabbāni tiṇāni kassako khettamhā āhari.
to oxen / to be given / grass /
farmer / from field / brought
The farmer brought from the field the grass to be given to the oxen.
16. Migā pānīyaṃ udakaṃ pariyesantā aṭaviyaṃ āhiṇḍiṃsu.
deer / drinking water / water /
searching [for] / in forest / wandered
The deer searching for drinking water wandered in the forest.
17. Darikāya dātuṃ phalāni āpaṇasmā vā (or) khettamhā vā āharitabbāni
to girl / to give / fruits /
from shop or / from field or / to be brought / are
The fruits are to be brought from the shop or the field to give to the
18. Kathetabbaṃ vā akathetabbaṃ* vā ajānanto asappuriso mā sabhāyaṃ
should be spoken or / should
not be spoken or / not knowing / wicked man / does not / in assembly /
Let not a wicked man who does not know what should be spoken and what
should not be spoken sit in the assembly.
19. Tumhe bhūpālā amaccehi ca paṇḍitehi ca samaṇehi ca anusāsitabbā
you / kings / by ministers and
/ by wise men and / by monks and / to be instructed / are
You kings are to be instructed by ministers, wise men and monks.
20. Upāsakena puṭṭho pañho paṇḍitena vyākātabbo hoti.
by lay person / asked /
question / by wise man / to be explained / is
The question asked by the lay person is to be explained by a wise man.
21. Bhūpālassa uyyāne vasantā migā ca sakunā ca luddakehi na hantabbā
king's / in park / living /
deer and / birds and / by hunter / not to be killed / are
Deer and birds living in the king's park are not to be killed by
22. Kusalaṃ ajānitvā pāpaṃ karontā kumārā na akkositabbā, te samaṇehi
ca paṇḍehi ca sappurisehi ca anusāsitabbā.
good / not having known / evil
/ committing / boys / should not be scolded / they / by monks and / by
wise men and / by virtuous men and / should be advised
Boys who commit sin without knowing what is wholesome should not be
scolded, they should be advised by monks, wise men and virtuous men.
23. Asappurisā parivajjetabbā, mā tumhe tehi saddhiṃ (with them) gāme
wicked men / should be avoided
/ do not / you / with them / in village / wander!
Wicked men should be avoided, you do not wander in the village with
24. Surā na pātabbā, sace piveyyātha tumhe gilānā bhavissatha.
liquor / should not be drunk /
if / (you) drink / you / sick / will become
Liquor should not be drunk, if you drink you will fall ill.
25. Dhammena jīvantā manussā devehi rakkhitabbā honti.
righteously / living / people /
by deities / to be protected / are
People living righteously are to be protected by deities.
Translate into Pali:
1. At night people should light lamps.
rattiyaṃ / manussā / jālentu /
Rattiyaṃ manussā dīpe jālentu.
2. The merchant brought horses to be sold to the farmers.
vāṇijo / āhari / asse /
vikkiṇitabbe / kassakānaṃ
Vāṇijo kassakānaṃ vikkiṇitabbe asse āhari.
3. Objects should be seen with eyes, tastes (rasāni) should be
enjoyed with the tongue.
rūpāni / passitabbāni /
locanehi / rasāni / sādiyitabbāni / jivhāya
Locanehi rūpāni passitabbāni, jivhāya rasāni sādiyitabbāni.
4. The dog should not be hit with sticks and stones.
kukkuro / na paharitabbo (hoti)
/ yaṭṭhīhi ca / pāsāṇehi ca
Kukkuro yaṭṭhīhi ca pāsāṇehi ca na paharitabbo hoti.
5. People in the island should be protected by the king and his
manussā / dīpe / ārakkhitabba
(honti) / bhūpālena ca / amaccehi ca
Manussā dīpe bhūpālena ca amaccehi ca ārakkhitabba honti.
6. Flowers should not be picked by men walking in the park.
pupphāni / na ocinitabbāni
(honti) / narehi / carantehi / uyyāne
Pupphāni uyyāne carantehi narehi na ocinitabbāni honti.
7. The corn should be measured by the farmer with his wife.
dhaññaṃ / miṇitabbaṃ (hoti) /
kassakena / bhariyāya saha
Dhaññaṃ bhariyāya saha kassakena miṇitabbaṃ hoti.
8. Men should not do evil.
(Lit.: Evil should not be done by men.)
manussehi / na kātabbaṃ / pāpaṃ
Manussehi pāpaṃ na kātabbaṃ.
9. Grass and water should be given to oxen and goats.
tinaṃ ca / udakaṃ ca / dātabbaṃ
(hoti) / goṇānaṃ ca / ajānaṃ ca
Tinaṃ ca udakaṃ ca goṇānaṃ ca ajānaṃ ca dātabbaṃ hoti.
10. The assembly should be addressed by the teacher's sister.
parisā / āmantetabbā /
ācariyassa / bhaginiyā
Parisā ācariyassa bhaginiyā āmantetabbā.
11. The lions sleeping in the caves should not be approached by men.
sīhā / sayantā / guhāsu / na
upasa'nkamitabbā (honti) / narehi
Guhāsu sayantā sīhā narehi na upasa'nkamitabbā honti.
12. The mother's clothes should be washed by the girl.
ammāya / dussāni / dhovitabbāni
(honti) / dārikāya
Ammāya dussāni dārikāya dhovitabbāni honti.
* akathetabbaṃ: a- here is a negative prefix.
Pali Primer Exercise 23
Translate into English:
1. Ammā samaṇehi asappurise putte anusāsāpesi.
mother / monks / wicked / son /
The mother got the monks to admonish (her) wicked sons.
2. Tumhe manusse pīḷente core āmantāpetvā ovadatha.
you / people / oppressing /
robbers / having got..ṣummoned / advise
You get the robbers oppressing people summoned and advise (them).
3. Vāṇijo kassakena rukkhe chindāpetvā/chedāpetvā sakaṭena nagaraṃ
merchant / farmer / trees /
having got..ṭo cut / by cart / [to] town / having taken / sold
The merchant got the farmer to cut the trees, took them by cart to the
town and sold (them).
4. Samaṇo upāsake sannipātāpetvā dhammaṃ desesi.
monk / lay devotees / having
got...assembled / dhamma / preached
The monk got the lay devotees assembled and preached the dhamma.
5. Mātulo kumārehi pupphāni ca phalāni ca ocināpesi.
uncle / boys / flowers and /
fruits and / got..ṭo pick
The uncle got the boys to pick flowers and fruits.
6. Dārikā sunakhaṃ pokkharaṇiṃ otarāpesi.
girl / dog / [into] pond /
The girl made the dog get down into the pond.
7. Amacco vāṇije ca kassake ca pakkosāpetvā pucchissati.
minister / merchants and /
farmers and / having got..ṣummoned / will question
Having summoned the merchants and farmers, the minister will question
8. Kaññāhi āhaṭāni pupphāni vanitāyo āsiñcāpesuṃ
by girls / brought / flowers /
women / got..ṭo be sprinkled
Women got the flowers brought by the girls to be sprinkled.
9. Bhariyāya kātabbaṃ kammaṃ ahaṃ karomi.
by wife / should be done / work
/ I / do
I do the work which should be done by a wife.
10. Luddako mittena migaṃ vijjhitvā mārāpesi.
hunter / by friend / deer /
having shot / got..ṭo be killed
The hunter got the deer shot and killed by a friend.
11. Brāhmaṇo ācāriyena kumāriṃ dhammaṃ uggaṇhāpesi.
brahmin / teacher / to daughter
/ dhamma / got..ṭo teach
The brahmin got a teacher to teacher the dhamma to (his) daughter.
12. Ammā dārikaṃ khīraṃ pāyetvā mañce sayāpesi.
mother / girl / milk / having
drunk / on bed / got..ṭo sleep
The mother got the girl to drink the milk and sleep on the bed.
13. Vāṇijā assehi bhaṇḍāni gāhāpetvā vikkiṇituṃ nagaraṃ gamiṃsu.
merchants / horses / goods /
having got..ṭo carry / to sell / [to] city / went
The merchants made the horses carry the goods and went to the city to
14. Vanitā sahāyakena rukkhassa sākhāyo ākaḍḍhāpetvā gehaṃ nesi.
woman / friend / tree's /
branches / having got..ṭo drag / home / took
The woman got a friend to drag the branches of the tree, and took (them)
15. Ammā puttena gehaṃ āgataṃ samaṇaṃ vandāpesi.
mother / son / [to] house /
come / monk / got..ṭo honour
The mother got (her) son to honour the monk who came to the house.
16. Upāsakā samaṇe āsanesu nisīdāpetvā bhojāpesuṃ.
lay devotees / monks / on seats
/ having got..ṣeated / got..ṭo eat
The lay devotees got the monks to sit on the seats and eat.
17. Bhaginī bhinnapattassa khaṇḍāni (pieces) āmasantī rodantī
sister / of broken bowl /
pieces / touching / crying / at the front door / stood
Touching pieces of the broken bowl, the sister stood at the front door
18. Udakaṃ āharituṃ gacchantiyo nāriyo sallapantiyo rukkhamūlesu
patitāni kusumāni oloketvā modiṃsu.
water / to bring / going /
women / engaging in conversation / at foot of the trees / fallen /
flowers / having looked / enjoyed
Women going to fetch water enjoyed themselves talking, looking at the
flowers fallen at the foot of the trees.
19. Luddako tuṇḍena phalaṃ ocinituṃ vāyamantaṃ suvaṃ sarena vijjhi.
hunter / with beak / fruit / to
pick / trying / parrot / with arrow / shot
With an arrow, the hunter shot the parrot trying to pick a fruit with
20. Sappurisena kārāpitesu vihāresu samaṇā vasanti.
by good men / got built / in
monasteries / monks / live
The monks live in the monasteries which good men got constructed.
Translate into Pali:
1. The wicked man gets his sons to shoot birds.
asappuriso / puttehi /
vijjāpeti / sakuṇe
Asappuriso puttehi sakuṇe vijjāpeti.
2. The lay devotees will get the monk to preach the doctrine.
upāsakā / samaṇena /
desāpessanti / dhammaṃ
Upāsakā samaṇena dhammaṃ desāpessanti.
3. Women get their children to honour the Buddha's disciples.
nāriyo / dārakehi / vandāpenti
/ Buddhassa / sāvake
Nāriyo dārakehi Buddhassa sāvake vandāpenti.
4. The young woman will get her sister to speak at the assembly.
taruṇī / bhaginiṃ /
kathāpessati / sabhāyaṃ
Taruṇī bhaginiṃ sabhāyaṃ kathāpessati.
5. The farmer caused the tree to fall into the pit.
kassako / rukkhaṃ / pātesi /
Kassako āvāṭe rukkhaṃ pātesi.
6. You (pl.) will get the flowers sprinkled with water.
tumhe / pupphāni /
siñcāpessatha / udakena
Tumhe udakena pupphāni siñcāpessatha.
7. The king got his ministers to build a monastery.
bhūpālo / amaccehi / kārāpesi /
Bhūpālo amaccehi viharaṃ kārāpesi.
8. The queen will live in the palace which the king got built.
rājinī / vasissati / pāsāde /
bhūpālena / kārāpite
Rājinī bhūpālena kārāpite pāsāde vasissati.
9. The merchant got his wife to put the goods in boxes.
vāṇijo / bhariyāya /
nikkhipāpesi / bhaṇḍāni / mañjūsāsu
Vāṇijo bhariyāya mañjūsāsu bhaṇḍāni nikkhipāpesi.
10. The brahmin got the Buddha's disciple to preach to his people.
brāhmaṇo / Buddhassa / sāvakena
/ anusāsāpesi / ñātayo
Brāhmaṇo Buddhassa sāvakena ñātayo (relatives) anusāsāpesi.
Pali Primer Exercise 24
Translate into English:
1. Vadhū sassuyā dhenuṃ rajjuyā bandhitvā khettaṃ nesi.
mother-in-law's / cow / with rope / having tied / [to] field / took
The daughter-in-law tied (her) mother-in-law's cow with a rope and took
(it) to the field.
2. Ammā yāguṃ pacitvā dārakānaṃ datvā mañce nisīdi.
mother / gruel / having cooked
/ to children / having given / on bed / sat
Having cooked gruel and given (it) to the children, the mother sat on
3. Yuvatiyā hattesu ca aṇgulīsu ca daddu atthi.
maiden's / hands and / fingers
and / eczema / there is
There is eczema on the hands and fingers of the young girl.
4. Mayaṃ aṭaviyaṃ carantiyo kaṇeruyo apassimha.
we / in forest / roaming /
cow-elephants / saw
We saw the cow-elephants roaming in the forest.
5. Itthī yuvatiyā bhattaṃ pacāpetvā dārikānaṃ thokaṃ thokaṃ vibhaji.
woman / maiden / rice / got..ṭo
cook / to girls / little by little / distributed
The women got the maiden to cook rice and gave a little each to the
Alt: The woman got the maiden to cook rice and she distributed it to the
girls little by little.
6. Tumhe vijjuyā ālokena guhāyaṃ sayantaṃ sīhaṃ passittha.
you / lightning's / with light
/ in cave / sleeping / lion / saw
With the light of the lightning, you saw the lion sleeping in the cave.
7. Yuvatiyā hatthesu kumārehi dinnā mālāyo santi.
maiden's / in hands / by boys /
given / garlands / are
In the maiden's hands are the garlands given by the boys.
8. Vadhū khette kāsūsu patitāni phalāni saṃhari.
daughter-in-law / in field / in
pits / fallen / fruits / collected
The daughter-in-law collected the fruits fallen in the pits in the
9. Brāhmaṇo Buddhassa dhātuyo vibhajitvā bhūpālānaṃ adadi/adāsi.
brahmin / Buddha's / relics /
having distributed / to kings / gave
The brahmin distributed Buddha's relics and gave to the kings.
10. Vadhū sassuyā pāde vandi.
mother-in-law's / feet / honoured
The daughter-in-laws honoured their mother-in-law's feet.
11. Yuvatiyā gehaṃ sammajjitabbaṃ hoti.
maiden's / house / to be swept
The young girl's house should be swept.
12. Devatāyo sakalaṃ (entire) vihāraṃ obhāsentiyo Buddhaṃ
deities / entire / monastery /
illuminating / Buddha / approached
The deities illuminating the entire monastery approached the Buddha.
13. Aṭavīsu vasantiyo kaṇeruyo sākhāyo bhañjitvā khādanti.
in forest / living /
cow-elephants / branches / having broken / eat
The cow-elephants living in the forest break the branches and eat.
14. Ahaṃ rukkhassa chāyāyaṃ nisinnānaṃ dhenūnaṃ ca goṇānaṃ ca tiṇāni
I / tree's / in shadow / seated
/ cows and / bulls and / grass / gave
I gave grass to the cows and bulls seated in the shade of the tree.
15. Itthī magge gacchantiṃ ammaṃ passitvā rathamhā oruyha taṃ
vanditvā rathasmiṃ āropetvā gehaṃ nesi.
woman / on road / going /
mother / having seen / from chariot / having descended / her / having
honoured / [into] chariot / made...get into / home / led
Having seen the mother going on the road, the woman got off from the
chariot, honoured her, made her get into the chariot and took her home.
16. Vadhū gehassa dvāraṃ thaketvā nahāyituṃ nadiṃ upasa`nkamitvā
yuvatīhi saddhiṃ sallapantī nadiyā tīre aṭṭhāsi.
daughter-in-law / house's /
door / having shut / to bathe / [to] river / having approached / with
maidens / talking / river's / on bank / stood
Having shut the front door, the daughter-in-law approaching the river to
bathe stood on the bank of the river talking with young women.
17. Bhūpālo manusse vihiṃsante core nāsetvā dipaṃ pālesi.
king / people / harming /
robbers / having destroyed / island / ruled
The king destroyed the robbers harming the people, and ruled the island.
18. Ammā asappurise bhajamāne putte samaṇehi ovādāpesi.
mother / wicked men /
associating with / sons / monks / got..ṭo advise
The mother got the monks to advise (her) sons associating with wicked
19. Sappurisena kiṇitvā āhaṭehi bhaṇḍehi chaḍḍetabbaṃ natthi.
by good man / having brought /
purchased / goods / to be thrown away / there is nothing
There is nothing to be thrown away from the goods purchased and brought
by the good man.
20. Mā tumhe gāme vasante kassake vihiṃsatha.
do not / you / in village /
living / farmers / harm!
(You) Do not harm the farmers living in the village.
Translate into Pali:
1. The mother took the gold kept in the box and gave it to the
ammā / gahetvā / suvaṇṇaṃ /
ṭhapitaṃ / mañjūsāyaṃ / adadi/adāsi / dhītuyā
Ammā mañjūsāyaṃ ṭhapitaṃ suvaṇṇaṃ gahetvā dhītuyā adadi/adāsi.
2. The daughter-in-law honoured the gods with garlands and fruits.
vadhū / pūjesi / devatāyo /
mālāhi ca / phalehi ca
Vadhū mālāhi ca phalehi ca devatāyo pūjesi.
3. If you dig holes, I will plant trees.
sace / tvaṃ / khaṇeyyāsi / kāsū
/ ahaṃ / ropessāmi / rukkhe
Sace tvaṃ kāsū khaṇeyyāsi, ahaṃ rukkhe ropessāmi.
4. You (pl.) go to the field and bring the corn home.
tumhe / khettaṃ / gantvā /
āharatha / dhaññaṃ / gehaṃ
Tumhe khettaṃ gantvā gehaṃ dhaññaṃ āharatha.
5. Cow-elephants wandered in the forest eating plantain trees.
kaṇeruyo / āhiṇḍiṃsu / aṭaviyaṃ
/ khādantiyo / kadali-rukkhe
Kaṇeruyo kadalirukkhe khādantiyo aṭaviyaṃ āhiṇḍiṃsu.
6. I looked at the girls crossing the river by boat.
ahaṃ / olokesiṃ / kumāriyo /
tarantiyo / nadiṃ / doṇiyā
Ahaṃ doṇiyā nadiṃ tarantiyo kumāriyo olokesiṃ.
7. Young women pulled the branches fallen in the pit.
taruṇiyo / ākaḍḍhiṃsu / sākhāyo
/ patitāyo / kāsuyaṃ
Taruṇiyo kāsuyaṃ patitāyo sākhāyo ākaḍḍhiṃsu.
8. The rays of the sun illuminate the world.
rasmiyo / suriyassa / obhāsenti
Suriyassa rasmiyo lokaṃ obhāsenti.
9. Singing songs the sisters went to the tank to bathe.
gāyantiyo / gītāni / bhaginiyo
/ gacchiṃsu / vāpiṃ / nahāyituṃ
Gītāni gāyantiyo bhaginiyo nahāyituṃ vāpiṃ gacchiṃsu.
10. The woman tied the cow with a rope and brought it to the field.
vanitā / bandhitvā / gāviṃ /
rajjuyā / ānesi / khettaṃ
Vanitā rajjuyā gāviṃ bandhitvā khettaṃ ānesi.
11. The daughter-in-law went to Anurādhapura with the mother-in-law
to honour the relics of the Buddha.
vadhu / agacchi / Anurādhapuraṃ
/ sassuyā saha / vandituṃ / Tathāgata-dhātuyo
Vadhu Tathāgatadhātuyo vandituṃ sassuyā saha Anurādhapuraṃ agacchi.
12. May virtue and wisdom illuminate the minds of men in the world.
sīlaṃ ca / paññā ca / obhāsentu
/ cittāni / manussānaṃ / loke
Sīlaṃ ca paññā ca loke manussānaṃ cittāni obhāsentu.
Pali Primer Exercise 25
Translate into English:
1. Munayo sīlaṃ rakkhantā girimhi guhāsu vasiṃsu.
sages / precepts / observing /
on mountain / in caves
The sages observing precepts lived in the caves on the mountain.
2. Ācariyena saddhiṃ viharanto kavi isi hoti.
with teacher / living / poet /
sage / becomes
Residing with the teacher, the poet becomes a sage.
3. Bhūpati asinā ariṃ paharitvā māresi.
king / with sword / enemy /
having hit / killed
The king hit and killed the enemy with a sword.
4. Pati bhariyāya paṭiyāditaṃ odanaṃ bhuñjitvā khettaṃ agami.
husband / by wife / prepared /
rice / having eaten / [to] field / went
The husband ate the rice prepared by (his) wife and went to the field.
5. Sappurisā gahapatayo bhariyāhi ca puttehi ca gehesu vasantā sukhaṃ
righteous / householders / with
wives and / with sons and / in homes / living / happiness / experience
Righteous householders living in (their) homes with (their) wives and
sons enjoy happiness.
6. Nidhiṃ pariyesanto adhipati sahāyakehi saddhiṃ dīpaṃ agacchi.
hidden treasure / searching /
lord / with friends / [to] island / went
Searching for the (hidden) treasure, the lord went to the island with
7. Atithīnaṃ odanaṃ pacantī itthī aggiṃ jālesi.
for guests / meal / cooking /
woman / fire / kindled
The woman cooking a meal for the guests kindled the fire.
8. Vyādhinā pīḷito naro mañce sayati.
by illness / afflicted / man /
on bed / sleeps
The man afflicted by an illness sleeps on the bed.
9. Gahapati vīhīnaṃ rāsiṃ minanto bhariyāya saddhiṃ kathesi.
householder / of paddy / heap /
measuring / with wife / spoke
The householder measuring the heap of paddy spoke with (his) wife.
10. Dārikā girimhā udentaṃ raviṃ olokentī hasanti.
girls / from mountain / rising
/ sun / seeing / laugh
The girls looking at the sun rising from the mountain laugh.
11. Bhūpatino muṭṭhimhi maṇayo bhavanti.
king's / in fist / gems / there
There are gems in the king's fist.
12. Ari kavino soṇaṃ yaṭṭhiyā paharitvā dhāvi.
enemy / poet's / dog / with
walking stick / having hit / ran
The enemy hit the poet's dog with (his) walking stick and ran.
13. Kavi patinā dinnaṃ maṇiṃ pāṇinā gaṇhi.
poet / by master / given / gem
/ in hand / took
The poet took in his hand the gem given by the master.
14. Nāriyo patīhi saddhiṃ udadhiṃ gantvā nahāyituṃ ārabhiṃsu.
women / with husbands / [to]
sea / having gone / to bathe / began
Having gone to the sea with (their) husbands, the women began to bathe.
15. Adhipati atithiṃ khādanīyehi ca bhojanīyehi ca bhojāpesi.
lord / guest / hard food and /
soft food and / got..ṭo eat
Lit: The lord got (his) guest to eat hard food and soft food.
The lord entertained (his) guest with hard and soft food.
16. Bhūpatinā kattabbāni kammāni adhipatayo na karissanti.
by king / to be done / work /
leaders / will not do
The leaders will not do the work that should be done by the king.
17. Munīhi pariyesitabbaṃ dhammaṃ ahaṃ pi uggaṇhituṃ icchāmi.
by sages / sought / doctrine /
I / too / to learn / wish
I wish to learn the doctrine sought by the sages too.
18. Ahaṃ dīpaṃ jāletvā udakena āsittāni padumāni Buddhassa pūjemi.
I / lamp / having kindled /
with water / sprinkled / lotuses / to Buddha / offer
I light the lamp and offer to the Buddha lotuses sprinkled with water.
19. Tvaṃ girimhi vasante dīpayo oloketuṃ luddakena saha giriṃ
you / in mountain / living /
leopards / to look at / with hunter / mountain / climb
You climb the mountain with the hunter to look at the leopards living in
20. Devī parisāya saha sabhāyaṃ nisinnā hoti.
queen / with retinue / in
assembly / seated / is
The queen is seated in the assembly with (her) retinue.
21. Gahapatayo pañhe pucchituṃ āka'nkhamānā isiṃ upasa'nkamiṃsu.
householders / questions / to
ask / hoping / sage / approached
The householders, hoping to ask questions, approached the sage.
22. Gahapatīhi puṭṭho isi pañhe vyākari.
by householders / questioned /
sage / questions / answered
Questioned by the householders, the sage answered the questions.
23. Nāriyā dhotāni vatthāni gaṇhante kapayo disvā kumārā pāsāṇehi te
by woman / washed / clothes /
taking / monkeys / having seen / boys / with stones / them / hit
Having seen the monkeys taking the clothes washed by the woman, the boys
hit them with stones.
24. Uyyāne āhiṇḍitvā tiṇaṃ khādantiyo gāviyo ca goṇā ca ajā ca aṭaviṃ
pavisitvā dīpiṃ disvā bhāyiṃsu.
in park / having roamed / grass
/ eating / cows and / oxen and / goats and / forest / having entered /
leopard / having seen / were frightened
Having entered the forest, the cows, oxen and goats roaming in the park
and eating grass saw the leopard and were frightened.
25. Gahapatīhi munayo ca atithayo ca bhojetabbā honti.
by householders / sages and /
guests and / to be entertained / are
The sages and guests should be entertained by the householders.
26. Ammā mañjūsāya pakkhipitvā rakkhite maṇayo dārikāya ca vadhuyā ca
mother / in box / having kept /
protected / gems / to girl and / to daughter-in-law and / gave
The mother gave the gems kept protected in a box to the little girl and
27. Yadi tumhe bhūpatiṃ upasa'nkameyyātha mayaṃ rathaṃ paṭiyādessāma.
if / you / king / would
approach / we / chariot / shall prepare
If you would approach the king, we shall prepare the chariot.
28. Gahapati coraṃ gīvāya gahetvā pādena kucchiṃ pahari.
householder / robber / by neck
/ having taken / with foot / belly / hit
The householder seized the robber by the neck and kicked (his) belly.
29. Sakuṇehi katāni kulāvakāni (nests) mā tumhe bhindatha.
by birds / built / nests / do
not / you / break!
You do not break the nests built by the birds.
30. Gītaṃ gāyantī yuvati gāviṃ upasa'nkamma khīraṃ duhituṃ (to milk)
song / singing / maiden / cow /
having approached / milk / to milk / began
The young woman singing a song approached the cow and began to milk
31. Buddhassa dhātuyo vandituṃ mayaṃ vihāraṃ gamimha.
Buddha's / relics / to worship
/ we / [to] monastery / went
We went to the monastery to worship the relics of the Buddha.
32. Mayaṃ kaññāyo dhammasālaṃ sammajjitvā kilañjāsu (on mats)
nisīditvā dhammaṃ suṇimha.
we / maidens / dhamma hall /
having swept / on mats / having sat / dhamma / listened to
We young girls swept the dhamma hall, sat on the mats and listened to
33. Mayaṃ locanehi rūpāni passāma, sotehi (with ears) saddaṃ (sound)
suṇāma, jivhāya rasaṃ sādiyāma (we taste).
we / with eyes / things / see /
with ears / sound / hear / with tongue / flavours / taste
We see objects with eyes, hear sound with ears, and taste flavours with
34. Te aṭaviyā āhiṇḍantiyo gāviyo rajjūhi bandhitvā khettaṃ ānesuṃ.
they / in forest / roaming /
cows / with ropes / having tied / [to] field / brought
They tied the cows roaming in the forest with ropes, and brought (them)
to the field.
35. Bhariyā vyādhinā pīḷitassa patino hatthaṃ āmasantī taṃ (him)
wife / by disease / oppressed /
husband's / hand / stroking / him / comforted
Stroking the hand of (her) husband who was oppressed by a disease, the
wife comforted him.
36. Gahapati atithinā saddhiṃ sallapanto sālāya nisinno hoti.
householder / with guest /
engaging in conversion / in hall / seated / is
The householder is seated in the hall discussing with the guest.
37. Muni saccaṃ adhigantvā manussānaṃ dhammaṃ desetuṃ pabbatamhā
oruyha gāme vihāre vasati.
sage / truth / having
understood / to people / doctrine / to preach / from mountain / having
descended / in village / in monastery / lives
Having understood the truth, the sage comes down from the mountain and
lives in the monastery in the village to preach the doctrine to the
38. Rajjuyā bandhitvā gāvī tattha tattha (here and there) āhiṇḍituṃ
asakkontī rukkhamūle tiṇaṃ khādati.
by rope / tied / cow / here and
there / to move / is unable / at foot of tree / grass / eats
Unable to move here and there, the cow tethered by a rope eats grass at
the foot of a tree.
39. Devī bhūpatinā saddhiṃ rathena gacchantī anatarāmagge (on the
way) kasante kassake passi.
queen / with king / by chariot
/ going / on the way / ploughing / farmers / saw
The queen going in a chariot with the king saw the farmers ploughing on
40. Mā tumhe akusalaṃ karotha, sace kareyyātha sukhaṃ vindituṃ na
do not / you / evil / commit /
if / (you) would do / happiness / to enjoy / not / will get
(You) Do not commit evil, if you do, you will not get to enjoy
Translate into Pali:
1. The husbands brought gems from the island for their wives.
patayo / āhariṃsu / maṇayo /
dīpasmā / bhariyānaṃ
Patayo bhariyānaṃ dīpasmā maṇayo āhariṃsu.
2. Sicknesses oppress people living in the world.
vyādhayo / pīḷenti / manusse /
vasante / loke
Vyādhayo loke vasante manusse pīḷenti.
3. Sitting on the ground the woman measured paddy with a nāḷi.
nisīditvā / bhūmiyaṃ / nārī /
mini / vīhiṃ / nāḷiyā
Bhūmiyaṃ nisīditvā nārī nāḷiyā vīhiṃ mini.
4. Householders who do evil do not worship sages.
gahapatayo / karontā / pāpaṃ /
na / vandanti / munayo
Gahapatayo pāpaṃ karontā munayo na vandanti.
5. If you dig up the treasure you will get gems.
sace / tvaṃ / khaṇeyyāsi /
nidhiṃ / (tvaṃ) / labhissasi / maṇayo
Sace tvaṃ nidhiṃ khaṇeyyāsi maṇayo labhissasi.
6. I washed the clothes which were to be washed by the wife.
ahaṃ / dhoviṃ / vatthāni /
dhovitabbāni / bhariyāya
Ahaṃ bhariyāya dhovitabbāni vatthāni dhoviṃ.
7. We drank the gruel which was prepared by our mother.
mayaṃ / piviṃha / yāguṃ /
paṭiyāditaṃ / ammāya
Mayaṃ ammāya paṭiyāditaṃ yāguṃ piviṃha.
8. You kindle the fire to cook rice and gruel for the guests coming
from the city.
tvaṃ / jālesi / aggiṃ / pacituṃ
/ odanaṃ ca / yāguṃ ca / atithīnaṃ / āgacchantānaṃ / nagaramhā
Tvaṃ nagaramhā āgacchantānaṃ atithīnaṃ odanaṃ ca yāguṃ ca pacituṃ aggiṃ
9. The householder hit with a sword the thief who entered the house.
gahapati / pahari / asinā /
coraṃ / paviṭṭhaṃ / gehaṃ
Gahapati asinā gehaṃ paviṭṭhaṃ coraṃ pahari.
10. The young girl gave grass to the cows standing in the shade of
taruṇī / dadi/adāsi / tiṇaṃ /
gāvīnaṃ / ṭhitānaṃ / chāyāyaṃ / rukkhassa
Taruṇī rukkhassa chāyāyaṃ ṭhitānaṃ gāvīnaṃ tiṇaṃ dadi/adāsi.
11. Monkeys dwell on trees, lions sleep in caves, serpents move on
vānarā / viharanti / rukkhesu /
sīhā / sayanti / guhāsu / sappā / caranti / bhūmiyaṃ
Vānarā rukkhesu viharanti, sīhā guhāsu sayanti, sappā bhūmiyaṃ caranti.
12. If you buy and bring goods from the city, I will sell them (tāni)
sace / tvaṃ / kiṇitvā /
bhaṇḍāni / nagarasmā / āhareyyāsi / ahaṃ / vikkiṇissāmi / tāni /
Sace tvaṃ nagarasmā bhaṇḍāni kiṇitvā āhareyyāsi, ahaṃ kassakānaṃ tāni
13. O wicked man, if you do merit you will experience happiness.
asappurisa / sace / tvaṃ /
kareyyāsi / kusalaṃ / tvaṃ / vindeyyāsi / sukhaṃ
Asappurisa! sace tvaṃ kusalaṃ kareyyāsi tvaṃ sukhaṃ vindeyyāsi.
14. There are gems and gold in the boxes in my mother's house.
santi / maṇayo ca / suvaṇṇo ca
/ mañjūsāsu / ammāya / gehamhi
Maṇayo ca suvaṇṇo ca ammāya gehamhi mañjūsāsu santi.
15. The sage preached the doctrine to the king's retinue seated on
muni / desesi / dhammaṃ /
bhūpatissa / parisāya / nisinnāya / bhūmiyaṃ
Muni bhūmiyaṃ nisinnāya bhūpatissa parisāya dhammaṃ desesi.
16. Recluses, sages and poets are honoured by virtuous men.
samaṇā ca / munayo ca / kavayo
ca / honti / pūjitā / sappurehi
Samaṇā ca munayo ca kavayo ca sappurehi pūjitā honti.
17. We will get the treasure which is protected by the leader.
mayaṃ / labhissāma / nidhiṃ /
rakkhitaṃ / adhipatinā
Mayaṃ adhipatinā rakkhitaṃ nidhiṃ labhissāma.
18. Do not cut branches of the trees planted in the park.
(tumhe) / mā / chindatha /
sākhāyo / rukkhānaṃ / ropitānaṃ / uyyānasmiṃ
Mā tumhe uyyānasmiṃ ropitānaṃ rukkhānaṃ sākhāyo chindatha.
19. Being released from the cage the birds flew into the sky.
muttā / pañjaramhā / sakuṇā /
uppatiṃsu / ākāsaṃ
Pañjaramhā muttā sakuṇā ākāsaṃ uppatiṃsu.
20. We did not see sages crossing the river through psychic power.
mayaṃ / na passimha / munayo /
tarante / nadiṃ / iddhiyā
Mayaṃ iddhiyā nadiṃ tarante munayo na passimha.